Welcome to the Foundation Stage Curriculum page. Our Foundation Stage is made up of Nursery (Busy Bees) and two Reception classes (Caterpillars and Dragonflies).
At Gravel Hill Primary, we greatly value the importance of the early years foundation stage (EYFS) in providing a secure foundation for future learning and development.
We seek to provide:
- Quality and consistency, so that every child makes good progress and no child gets left behind.
- A secure foundation through learning and development opportunities which are planned around the needs and interests of each child and are assessed and reviewed regularly.
- Partnership working between practitioners and parents.
- Equality of opportunity and anti-discriminatory practice, ensuring that every child is included and supported.
The children in our Nursery and Reception follow the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum framework. We offer our children the opportunity to learn through a wide range of rich, meaningful and multi-sensory practical experiences, in both indoor and outdoor learning environments. Children learn best through play-based activities and first-hand experience. We aim for the children to become independent learners through a balanced provision of child initiated and adult led experiences.
Within the Early Years Foundation Curriculum there are four key themes, which underpin seven areas of learning:
The Four Key Themes
A Unique Child - Every child is a competent learner from birth who can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured.
Positive Relationships - Children learn to be strong and independent from a base of loving and secure relationships with parents and/or a key person.
Enabling Environments - The environment plays a key role in supporting and extending children’s development and learning.
Learning and Development - Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates and all areas of learning and development are equally important and inter-connected.
The Seven Areas of Learning
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Communication and Language
Understanding of the World
Expressive Arts & Design
Reception have the opportunity to take part in Forest school activities on the school grounds. Each Reception class will visit Forest school every other week.
The benefits, based on long term studies from other Forest Schools, and include:
- Increased self-esteem and self-confidence
- Improved social skills
- Greater language expression
- Increased physical dexterity
- Children concentrate for longer periods of time than when indoors
- Children develop an understanding and respect for their natural environment
Nursery - Busy Bees
Our Nursery is called Busy Bees and is a morning only Nursery.
We offer a broad, balanced, and exciting Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum for 3- and 4-year-olds in a stimulating indoor and outdoor learning environment. We are relentless in ensuring our children are safe, happy and are given every opportunity to thrive in their learning and development.
Reception - Dragonflies and Caterpillars
Our Reception is split into two classes (Dragonflies and Caterpillars). Each class has their own indoor classroom and both share the outdoor environment.